Re: [Xen-users] Re: Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit HVM on xen-unstable 23842

On Sep 21, 2011 1:08 AM, "Fantu" <fantonifabio@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Why ubuntu as hvm domu and not pv?

I am trying out nested virtualization which is why I need it to be a HVM domain.

> I have installed Natty as pv, with official netinstall take here:
> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/natty/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/xen/
> Have 2 problem on install solved:
> On network interfaces detection failed select "go back" select execute
> shell, insert this command:
> modprobe xen-netfront
> exit
> select "Detect network hardware"
> continue with normal install and at bootloader problem select to continue
> without bootloader.
> At install complete mount domu disk with -o loop on dom0 and create file for
> pygrub, for example:
> mkdir /mnt/tmp/boot/grub
> vi /mnt/tmp/boot/grub/menu.lst #check always kernel version
> default         0
> timeout         2
>
> title           Natty 64 bit (Ubuntu 11.04)
> root            (hd0,0)
> kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-11-generic root=/dev/xvda1 ro
> initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-11-generic
>
> title           Natty 64 bit (Ubuntu 11.04) (Single-User)
> root            (hd0,0)
> kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-11-generic root=/dev/xvda1 ro single
> initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-11-generic
> Start the first time and solve the other problem, for example:
> xm create NATTY.cfg
> xm console NATTY.cfg
> modprobe xen-blkfront
> exit
> # login and add xen modules
> # Add in /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and /etc/modules:
> xen_netfront #Xen virtual network device frontend
> xen_blkfront #Xen virtual block device frontend
> xen_fbfront #Xen virtual framebuffer device frontend
> xen_kbdfront #Xen virtual keyboard/pointer device frontend

Yes this will solve the issue if you are running a PV domain. I think something similar is happening with the HVM domain. My guess is that the 11.04 kernel does not have the drivers for the disk adapter being exposed by QEMU.