Re: [Xen-users] Re: Is xen planning to support hvm guests booting under UEFI?

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 5:34 PM, jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed September 21 2011, 9:06:38 PM, jim burns wrote:
>> Pls cc: me as I am not subscribed.
> [...]
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps has been reworked recently.
> Not sure if this was there before:
>
> "Add EFI support in Linux pv-ops. Jan Beulich wrote patches to make Xen
> hypervisor be able to compile as an EFI application. "Build xen.efi, write up
> a config file for it to read (most importantly so it knows what Dom0 kernel
> and initrd to use), and you should be good to go (provided the EFI
> implementation isn't too flawed). This being an EFI application you can simply
> run it from the shell prompt. Parameter for Xen.efi is -cfg <file>, and <file>
> has: kernel=, ramdisk=, options=, video=gfx-x. The Linux pv-ops needs at least
> to parse XEN_VGATYPE_EFI_LFB data, E820 parsed (should be working) and give
> the ACPI subsystem a pointer to the ACPI DSDT without consulting EBDA."
>
> This doesn't solve the Windows 8 hvm problem, but at least EFI is being
> considered.

There was a google summer of code project around UEFI:
http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code-2011-tianocore/downloads/detail?name=Bei_Guan.tar.gz&can=2&q=

I don't know if it was submitted to xen-devel, but you can follow up
with the xen-devel mailing list if you are interested.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Todd

--