[Xen-users] Re: Your hd 6870 xen setup

Hello,
    (CC-ing the list so the list can be informed as well)

On 5 October 2011 15:36, Dima Tisnek <dimaqq@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi, your posted on xen-dev that you had 6870 passthrough working with
> 4.s unstable.
> Can I ask for details of your setup, e.g. what dom0 kernel do you run?
> What guest do you run, 32 or 64-bit?

Here's a summary of my current setup:

xen-unstable
# hg log|head
changeset:   23756:0f36c2eec2e1
tag:         tip
user:        Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxx>
date:        Thu Jul 28 15:40:54 2011 +0100
summary:     hvmloader: Enable SCI in QEMU has it disabled.
(Running an older version since I have problems booting newer versions
for some reason)

dom0
# cat /etc/debian_version
wheezy/sid
# uname -a
Linux localhost 3.1.0-rc7-xen-amd64+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Sep 25
23:49:23 SGT 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux
(Vanilla from Linus' github)

domUs
1. HVM freeBSD 8.2 x64
2. HVM openSuSE 11.4 x64
3. HVM pfSense 2.0 x64
4. HVM Windows 7 x64 (PCI-passthrough HD6870)
5. HVM Windows XP x32

*Both xen and the dom0 kernel are vanilla without any third-party patches.

> I got my secondary 6870 up and sortof running on vt-d mobo, xen 4.1.1,
> jeremy's 2.6.3x git dom0, 32-bit xp guest, but I get vpu resets every
> few minutes and sometimes 3d goes away and never comes back. I'd like
> to try and reproduce your setup since you say it works solid until
> guest restart.

Yes, I started out with the 2.6.3x kernel and they never worked well
for graphics passthrough. However, there really is no reason to use
the bleeding-edge kernels since good enough pci-backend support is
already included in the vanilla kernel.

Not sure how your 32-bit XP guest would change the situation though, so YMMV.

Why not post up the logs when your system screws up and see if the
devs/others can help you?

> I understand there's some difference in vt-x wrt. 32/64-bit guests,
> which should I run?

>From what I interpret about what's happening, xen development is
currently focusing on 64-bit host/guest support since 64-bit systems
are becoming the de-facto standard. So IMHO you'll be better off with
a 64-bit system.

> Thanks,
> Dima

Hope this helps!