[Xen-users] Dom0 IP Detection in Routed Mode

Hello Everyone,

my Xen server works with the networking in routed mode, with one exception which I cant seem to resolve.

In Debian servers with Bridge Mode networking, when I bring a new IP up inside a DomU using the command:
 ip addr add x.x.x.x/32 dev eth0
The IP is automatically detected by Dom0 and I can route to, connect to the address immediately.

With the server I'm running in routed mode, when I bring up an IP inside a DomU with:
 ip addr add x.x.x.x/32 dev eth0 peer x.x.x.x/32 broadcast x.x.x.x
The IP comes up on the DomU, then I have to manually add routing for it on the Dom0 with a command like:
 ip route add x.x.x.x dev vif8.0 scope link src x.x.x.x

I haven't yet got to trying live migration, but I can already see how this is going to get inconvenient even with one server.

Is this a problem which has already been solved somewhere or is there something in my setup I need to pay closer attention to in order to get this running smoother? Ideally I would like to just define the IPs inside the DomUs like I've always done with my routed mode VMs.

Thanks for your assistance,
-Aaron

Aaron Cossey
aaron.cossey@xxxxxxxxx