Re: [Xen-users] Time change conundrum

First off... take a look at http://wiki.debian.org/Xen, look for the section on 'clocksource/0: Time went backwards'

Niall Fleming wrote:
Here's a confusing issue for you, I have a bunch of machines running Xen 4.1.

The time in the BIOS was wrong at machine power on, so logically, I set the time in Dom0 with NTP and synced it back to the hardware clock (just in case). I restart the VMs which came up before the time changed, so that they would get the correct time
on startup (as has always worked in the past with Xen 3.x).

The VMs do *not* come up with the initial clock set by the system clock in Dom0, they persist in using the time before it was set on the host system (plus however many seconds/minutes etc.) have passed, so the original clock time on Dom0 is ticking along somewhere even though every utility in the system seems to report the 'correct' time
as I have set by NTP.

Any ideas? I'm at my wit's end with it, I've tried different kernels (albeit with [almost] the same config), both jeremy-git-xen-next-2.6.32 and linux 3.1.0+ (latest from git). I've tried with different
Xen version 4.1.0/4.1.1/4.1.2 and the problem exists in each of them.

I know that I can run NTP in each VM, but I'd like the system time to be correct at boot up as it will make the timestamps in the logs very confusing when it jumps back an hour.

--

*Niall Fleming BSc. (Hons)*
Systems Administrator

Phone: 0800 862 0131 Ext: 203
Web: http://www.webanywhere.co.uk

Aire Valley Business Centre, Lawkholme Lane, Keighley, BD21 3BB
Registered in England with company number 4881346