Re: [Xen-users] OpenSuse 11 hvm domU: screen resolution up to 640x480

On 6 November 2011 09:44, jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If you do a 'rpm -qi qemu-system-x86' (or whatever the package name is in your
> system (and package manager)), you'll see that is a kvm package, and thus not
> modified for xen.
OK.

> I've never had to do a linux hvm install, so I can't comment on the
> differences.
I think it's just a performance issue. As far as I know, there is no
longer great difference
between hvm and pv guest in XEN.

> Could be that the 'videoram=' option is only meant for linux or
> windows, but not both.
I don't think so. I have a windows-7 (but also a windows-xp) and a
CentOS domU (not hvm)
both using videoram=16 and stdvga=1, and there is no problem. High
resolution in both cases.

> I do know I get the cirrus model in my winxp domu with
> 'stdvga=0', and I get the 4M videoram error with videorams greater than 4 and
> using 'xl create'.
This happens to me only with this opensuse hvm guest. Now I've finally
got the setup under
qemu-system-x86_64 system working, so, I will see what will happen in
this case, when
I will boot the domU as a PV guest and not hvm.

> I have also noticed that being limited to videoram=4 in my
> winxp domu doesn't prevent me from getting 1280x1024 in vnc.
mmmh.. So the screen resolution limitation is not related to this problem...
interesting and much more confusing.

I will let you know.

Thank you.
--