Re: [Xen-users] OpenSuse 11 hvm domU: screen resolution up to 640x480

Pls remember to cc: me, as I don't receive mail from the list.

Quote:

> On 7 November 2011 00:09, jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Also, since it's linux, you can play with lspci in your opensuse domu.
>> Find out the pci device number for the emulated video card, then do an
>> 'lspci -s pci-device-number -vvv', and look at the 'Region' lines for the
>> amount of memory on the card. See if that memory varies by the setting of
>> your videoram= config line.

> Region 0: Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
> Region 1: Memory at f3000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

> and videoram is equal to 16 with stdvga=0, as you told me.

Your region 0 is 32M, and your videoram=16, so opensuse is not paying any
attention to the videoram. Actually, this is exactly what my winxp domu says -
2 regions of 32m and 4k. I'm beginning to think the videoram= line only
applies if stdvga=1, but everything is predefined for stdvga=0 - the cirrus
model.

> On 7 November 2011 00:31, jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Ok, I see what you are doing. You use qemu-img to create the disk, then
>> using qemu to install from a cdrom (since cdroms are only available in hvm
>> mode), installing a xen enabled kernel, then using pygrub in your config
>> to boot the created image as a pv domain.
> Yes, that's it, but unfortunately the domU doesn't start in this way:
> blank screen after the grub kernel selection. So I came back to use the hvm
> domU I've previously created.

I'm going to assume you picked the xen enabled kernel in the grub display.

>> That will work. Assuming you created your
>> opensuse domu this way, as soon as you boot it with pygrub, it's now a pv
>> domain, not an hvm domain, and videoram/stdvga no longer apply. Have I got
>> this right?
> Yes. But as said above, now consider that this pv domain has been cancelled.
> Now I only have one opensuse domU and it is hvm. The only one that can boot.

:end Quote

Alright, why don't you post the full config for your hvm opensuse domu? Maybe
something else will jump out at me.