[Xen-users] RE: ubuntu and debian guests cannot find or mount root partition

> Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 04:10:53 +0700
> Subject: Re: [Xen-users] RE: Xen-users Digest, Vol 81, Issue 21
> From: list@xxxxxxxxx
> To: adamgold@xxxxxxxxxxx
> CC: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> > Thanks to you both for the feedback.  I tried changing xvda to sda but root
> > still failed to mount.
> >
> > Regarding the xenblk drivers, it looks like they are loaded (correct me if
> > I'm wrong).  When I run on dom0 'cat /proc/modules | grep xen' I get the
> > following:
> >
> > xen_netback 27854 0 [permanent], Live 0xffffffffa016a000
> > xen_blkback 23177 0 [permanent], Live 0xffffffffa0163000
> > xen_evtchn 13172 2 - Live 0xffffffffa00c6000
> > xenfs 18311 1 - Live 0xffffffffa011c000
> >
> > I also loaded xen-gntdev but still no luck.  Next steps :) ?
>
> You obviously did something, right, cause the content of /proc/modules
> is different compared to your previous post.
>
> What's in /proc/partitions AFTER you get xen-related entry in /proc/modules?
>
> --
> Fajar

Fajar: thanks for the response.  I should clarify: as mentioned above, I ran cat /proc/modules on the *dom0*.  When I attach the console to the guest vm, cat /proc/modules and /partitions are both empty.  For whatever reason, it seems not to be getting to the stage of creating a full filesystem, even though it can boot part of the way.

I'd love to get this to work as it's such an elegant way of creating guests.  In the meantime, I think it will be productive to build a guest from scratch, step by step without the tools, and see where/if it falls down.

Of course any further suggestions will be very welcome.

Regards,

Adam

P.S. changed subject header of this message to make up for my previous mess up!