Re: [Xen-users] OpenSuse 11 hvm domU: screen resolution up to 640x480

Sorry - I got busy.

On Thu November 10 2011, 11:58:36 AM, Flavio wrote:
> > Your modprobe errors for xennet and xenblk are probably because opensuse
> > expects those names (xenlinux) instead of the newer names (pvops). They
> > can be ignored if your FRONTENDS are builtin.
>
> As a matter of fact, I don't know if I can, because the network
> doesn't work. Or, even
> better, the IP address is going to be assigned during the boot but I
> can't ping the two
> hosts (domU and dom0) each other.

Ok - while the domu is running, let's see the output of
in dom0: ls -alFR /sys/bus/xen* ; ifconfig ; brctl show ; & netstat -tlp |
grep 59
in domu: ls -alFR /sys/bus/xen* ; ifconfig

> > Interesting - otherwise, it's exactly the same as what Fajar posted. Try
> > this - edit /etc/init.d/boot.local, and add the line 'modprobe
> > cirrusfb', and reboot. That will execute before any of the services
> > start up.
>
> Yes, the module is loaded, but the lspci result is still the same. No
> driver mentioned.

Ok - in domu, post the output of:
lsmod|egrep 'vesa|cirrus'
egrep -i 'vesa|cirrus' /boot/config*
ls -alF /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:02.0 (your video device)
ls -alF /sys/bus/pci/drivers/{vesa,cirrus}*
modprobe cirrusfb

Let's see which driver is servicing the video card. On my systems, cirrusfb is
a module, vesa is builtin. Builtins will not show up as a kernel driver in
lspci -vvv. Then we'll see whether the cirrusfb module gets an error on

> OK.
> Then, what I have done now is:
> 1) install again kernel-xen package.
> I noticed a strange fact: the new entry that has been created in the
> menu.lst is the
> following:
> title Xen -- openSUSE 11.4 - 2.6.37.6-0.9
>     root (hd0,1)
>     kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.37.6-0.9-xen
> root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-QEMU_HARDDISK_QM00001-part2
> resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-QEMU_HARDDISK_QM00001-part1 splash=silent
> quiet showopts vga=0x314
>     initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.37.6-0.9-xen
>
> The last time I installed kernel-xen, there was also the xen.gz entry.
>
> 2) I tried to reboot with this new xen kernel but, after selecting the
> kernel above Grub says:
> Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format
>
> And that is the same error I got previously when I made the change
> described in a previous e-mail, as regard the menu.lst file.

Hmm - that's an error I would expect with earlier versions of xen. Eg - xen <
3.4.0 can't boot a pvops domu, without backported patches. What distribution
is your dom0, and what xen version?

> > Interesting - you definitely get the cirrus xorg module being selected,
> > along with the other candidates fbdev and vesa. After the card is
> > initialized, fbdev and vesa are unloaded, in favor of the better
> > candidate cirrus. What surprises me if that the 'lspci' output you
> > posted didn't have the kernel module driver cirrusfb. I didn't think
> > the xorg module cirrus would work without the kernel module driver
> > cirrusfb.
>
> Maybe it works thanks to the vesa generic driver.

Which is what we are checking above.

Finally, post your full dmesg from your domu. Maybe something will jump out at
me.