Re: [Xen-users] I upgraded, now vms won't start

Quoting Simon Hobson <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

I'm guessing you've been booting the guest using a Dom0 kernel/initrd.
The problem here is that the initrd in particular will be set up for
the Dom0 and may or may not be particularly well setup for a DomU.

Since i figured this out, I've been using either pygrub, or copying the
kernel/initrd from the guest, so that I can boot each guest with a
kernel/initrd built for that specific guest. Well the kernels are stock
Debian kernels, but the initrds are specific to the guest.

--
Simon Hobson

Yes Simon, I think you are right. The others were saying pretty much the same thing too. According to the wiki (4 or 5 years ago), using the domU kernel was the way to do this. We were actually instructed to do so in that resource. Even though it may be a more bloated kernel, I liked the simplicity of the idea. I just went with what I knew from there... the new wiki doesn't say not to, and the machine I updated the other day didn't have these same problems that my server did yesterday, so I wasn't sure what was causing what.

Thanks.

-Chris

So