From: Fajar A. Nugraha [mailto:list@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, 21 November 2011 8:18 PM
To: Alan Lam
Cc: xen-users
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] CentOS 5.x / 6.x Dom0

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 4:13 PM, Alan Lam <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On the topic of CentOS 6.x though, what would be your recommended path to

> take, if I wanted to pursue the CentOS 6.x path? I see there's various Xen

> 4.1 RPMs for CentOS 6 so I can tick that off, but what would you recommend

> for the kernel portion?

That's the tricky part.

While RHEL5 have dom0-compatible -xen kernel, RHEL6 only has

domU-compatible kernel.

My personal preference is what I mentioned above: use latest vanilla

kernel, packaged as RPM. At least that way when a new vulnerability

comes out you just need to recompile the latest kernel plus whatever

Linus-blessed emergency-patch available. The downside, you won't have

blktap support (which shouldn't matter if you use LV-backed domUs).

Others might opt for the more-tested 2.6.32 xen-pv_ops though. At

least Oracle VM also uses kernel 2.6.32.

--

Fajar