Re: [Xen-users] PCI Passthrough

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 8:00 PM, Felix Kuperjans
<felix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am 21.11.2011 21:11, schrieb John Sherwood:
>
> Looking at that link, I see the board on the Intel *VT* list, NOT the *VT
> with Directed I/O* (aka, VT-d) list.  The VT list is presumably referring
> just to VT-x (virtualization extensions), and they are not being listed as
> supporting VT-d (IOMMU).
>
> I can't speak much about the motherboard stuff, but for the processor, if
> you're going Intel, ark.intel.com will tell you if a processor supports VT-d
> or not.
>
> Processor support alone is not enough for VT-d. VT-d must be also supported
> and enabled on the chipset (and therefore, the mainboard BIOS/EFI).
>
> It's sometimes hard to find resources if a mainboard really has a working
> IOMMU, that's why the list in the Xen Wiki is usually very valuable.
>
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Alexandre Biancalana <biancalana@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi list,
>>
>>  I´m planning to buy a new machine and I´ll need to have pci
>> passthrough working on it.
>
> AFAIK, pci passthrough to paravirtual Linux guests would also be possible
> without hardware support.

Reading the wiki again, I've see that pci passthrough is possible to
paravirtualized guests without VT-d, this is great!

Actually I was planning to buy new hardware because until now I can't
do pci passthrough with my actual computer. I'm running Xen version
3.3.1 with AMD Phenom 8450.

I need to do pci passthrough of a modem (for asterisk) and a video
capture adapter (cftv).

Lets go back to the tests.

Best Regards,
Alexandre