Re: [Xen-users] xen disk io performance

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Niels Dettenbach <nd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 10:36:51 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 09:38:28 +0000

Dear Alexandre,

Am Montag, 28. November 2011, 10:03:23 schrieb Alexandre Chapellon:

> disk =[ 'phy:/dev/xendata/postgresql-syslog:xvdb1:w']
This is typically correct.

> What can be done to improve disk IO and throuput?

I did not know much about the NetApp SAN you describe but there are usually
different possible reasons for performance problems of databases on SAN
storage.

One of the major bottlenecks i saw often was a very limited transaction rate
(number of i/o requests) of the SAN (if the SAN cache was filled) even if the
SAN offers a high bandwidth / throughput when writing large files etc.. What
kind of RAID configuration do you use within your SAN? Are there other
applications / users which use the same disk space / disks in parallel? How
many "free" disk heads are available for your pgsql? What kind of filesystems
do you use?

You may take some tests with storage benchmarking tools to go down to the
source of the bottleneck (make shure your benachmark fill up / eliminates the
SAN cache for usuable results).

On the Xen level byself i did not see any further optimization options -
typical things you have to review for any optimizations are:

 - reduce (swappiness) or disable swapping at all
 - optimize RAM usage (buffering)
 - (if possible) realize exclusive access of pgsql to the physical disks

In several cases filesystem behaviours / suboptimal block sizes may interfer
to performance too.

hth
best regards,

Niels.