[Xen-users] vnc stops working after a while

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Jordi Moles Blanco <jordi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 12:25:28 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 11:27:19 +0000

Hi everyone,

the issue I'm describing here has to do with para-virtual domUs, although I don't know if it also affects full-virtualized machines, I have none to test against.

My problem is that I have some domUs with VNC set up, but VNC stops working after some hours/days after the domU is "xm created". It actually varies every time, I cannot say it fails after 5 hours or 2 days every time.

I'm not talking here about black screens after a while. This will always get "fixed" by pressing the Enter button and you'll get the login screen again. The issue here is that if i create a machine and then leave it alone with no load at all and no reboots or anything done on it, VNC won't work anymore until I reboot the machine.

I always work with Debian Squeeze dom0's and Xen 4.0. My domus are debian squeeze, ubuntu and fedora, although that does not make any difference at all, as I've seen the same kind of problem in the three systems.

When this happens, the only thing I can do is shut down the machine (rebooting not always works) and create it again. I don't know whether VNC depends on xend or has nothing to do at all with it, but restarting xend doesn't fix this problem.
Until I reboot the machine, VNC client will say:

vncviewer 42.XXXX:5900
connected to host 42.XXXX port 5900

and it will wait for ever. It doesn't matter if you use tightvnc, vncviewer or orther software, none is capable of connecting properly.

Actually, it looks as if it was working, as it doesn't throw any connection problem or timeout or anything, but it just doesn't do anything else, it only connects.

Thanks.

--
Jordi Moles Blanco
Sistemes Cdmon.com