[Xen-users] XCP

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: <frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 18:51:18 -0000
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 18:53:14 +0000

Hi,

I have deployed three machines in recent months all of which are loaded with XCP 1.0.  These machines are functioning very well in real commercial environments.  I intend to deploy further machines in 2012.  All of these systems are running MS SBS2011 in a VM and also Trixbox Asterisk based voip telephony in another VM.  I am getting fed up,  however,  with inconsistencies from commercial ADSL routers which screw up voip and which do not provide QoS which is good enough so I have decided to use ADSL Ethernet modems instead and perform all routing, firewall and QoS functions inside the XCP box.  To that end I have set up an experimental XCP 1.0 box with 2 NICS and I have set up iptables on the host machine to perform NAT (masquerade) forwarding the entire internet (DMZ) onto the public side of a zeroshell VM (firewall) which will allow an easy way to open and close ports and which also performs excellent QoS.  The reason why I want to perform a NAT masquerade on the host itself is so I can get locked down SSH access to the host itself so that in an emergency I can start and stop VMs or even reboot if necessary.

All this I have successfully implemented and it all works well.  The only fly in the ointment is if the box is connected to an ISP which only provides a dynamic IP address.  I have used xe pif-reconfigure-ip to set the external interface to dhcp and it does indeed lease an IP address from the ISP.  What it does not do however, is to get the gateway address from the ISP.  If I connect other boxes (linux or windows) to the internet connection they all get a gateway address – but not XCP.  Because I am able to work out what the gateway address is I have added it manually at the cli using the route command and  internet access then works  – but this is not a solution – only a workaround - and if the IP address changed the box would be on the wrong gateway.  It would be really great if someone could shed some light on what is going on.

BTW.  I have not defined a gateway on the management interface so there is only one gateway on the machine.

Kind regards,

Frank.