Re: [Xen-users] [XCP] install questions not answered in Wiki

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Carl Constantine <Carl.Constantine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Iâm trying to install XCP 1.1 on a server with an Areca 1680 SAS RAID card in it. I downloaded the Install ISO and went to do the install. There is no driver for this in XCP (which isnât a big surprise). I downloaded a CentOS 5.5 driver disk from Areca, but when the install gets to the part about âF9 to load driversâ it does not read the floppy disk and it expects a repository type layout which is frustrating.

The internal SATA drives also run off the Areca controller, so I had to

I managed to install XCP 1.1 on the internal SATA drives and want to compile the Areca driver and kernel module. So, once itâs all set up, I went to the console but XCP doesnât include any kernel headers or gcc or anything to compile a new driver. I disabled the Citrix yum repository as per some other references to the HTTP 404 error I found while researching, leaving only the CentOS yum repositories. However, this is what I get:

# yum install gcc

âgcc not foundâ

??? Say what?

# yum install linux-gcc

âlinux-gcc not foundâ

Ok, so now Iâm confused. Why canât I install gcc? I did manage to:

# yum install xen-devel

That worked just fine.

So my question comes down to:

1) Â Â ÂHow do I get gcc and other necessary software installed so I can compile the Areca kernel module (or maybe thereâs a better way to approach this?)

2) Â Â ÂOnce done, what is the best way to set up our storage system to store VMâs

A subsequent question, is maybe thereâs a way I can do a custom build of XCP with SuSE 12 x64 with the required kernel module?

Thanks in advance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Â
Carl B. Constantine,ÂITÂ Analyst

Server, Network and Telecomm Infrastructure

IT Services

Royal Roads University
250 391-2600 ext.4975
fax 250 391-2594
http://www.royalroads.ca
carl.constantine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Â
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Iâm trying to install XCP 1.1 on a server with an Areca 1680 SAS RAID card in it. I downloaded the Install ISO and went to do the install. There is no driver for this in XCP (which isnât a big surprise). I downloaded a CentOS 5.5 driver disk from Areca, but when the install gets to the part about âF9 to load driversâ it does not read the floppy disk and it expects a repository type layout which is frustrating.

I managed to install XCP 1.1 on the internal SATA drives and want to compile the Areca driver and kernel module. So, once itâs all set up, I went to the console but XCP doesnât include any kernel headers or gcc or anything to compile a new driver. I disabled the Citrix yum repository as per some other references to the HTTP 404 error I found w~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The compiled driver is in that disk image, you just need to dig a bit. The download disks match up to RHEL releases though (5.5,5.6 etc) so you may or may not be able to get one to work. Here's the steps in general to get at the binary driver

  1. download the areca disk image from hereÂhttp://www.areca.us/support/s_linux/linux.htm
  2. Extract the Zip file
  3. CD into the directory that it created and extract the Install zip file
  4. Mount the driver.img file - mount -o loop driver.img <mountpoint>Â
  5. CD into <mountpoint>
  6. mv modules.cgz modules.gz
  7. gunzip modules.gz
  8. cpio -i < modules
  9. CD into the directory this creates
  10. There you are, your compiled binary driver for both i686 and x86_64
Note I do not gaurantee either of these drivers will work since the XCP kernel is quite different from the RHEL/CentOS one but you could try.