Re: [Xen-users] [Xen-devel] VGA passthough still not working

On Wed, 2012-01-25 at 04:39 -0500, Tobias Geiger wrote:
> Hello Doug!
>
> see below ....

> meaning
> > >
> > > you

> > > doesnt

> ATI,

> guest?
> > >
> > > With

> > > I was a bit un-percice regarding the "reboot" issue:
> > >
> > > The passing-through itself works even after a reboot of DomU - the
> > > rebooted
> > > System spits out its Graphics normaly through the passed-through
> Card
> > > (NVIDA
> > > or ATI doesnt matter here) ; BUT:
> > > After a reboot it doesn't work properly. Meaning: Slow 3d
> Performance,
> > > i.e.
> > > unsable for real 3d apps, even a 3d Desktop;
> > > For example, when the Card gives you 70fps in a Benchmark after a
> > > fresh Cold
> > > Boot, it only gives you 5-10fps after a reboot, this will be that
> low
> > > until
> > > you reboot Dom0 also, not only DomU;
> > >
> > > hopefully i described the scenario better now...
> >
> > Ah, got it.  I hadn't been doing anything 3D intensive, only running
> the
> > Aero desktop.  I installed 3DMark Vantage and ran a couple of tests.
> > get the same results (within a fraction of a %) after a cold boot as
> > do after rebooting multiple times, and always very close to native.
> It
> > seems i don't have the problem you're having.
> >
> > Do you get any different log messages after a reboot (xl dmesg, dom0
> > dmesg, qemu log)?  Have you tried with iommu=verbose to see if
> there's
> > any more useful information there?
> >

> Cool. Finally someone NOT suffering the
> reboot-performance-regression-Problem
> :)
>
> I searched back and forth, rebooted DomU like crazy, diff'ed the
> dmesg/xldmesg/qemu-dm - but no difference :(
>
> What kind of ATI Card are you passing through?

It's an HIS incarnation of the Radeon 4770. lspci -vvv output at the
bottom of the message.

> Would be nice to find out whats causing this...

Does your device/bus support FLR?  Do you get any messages like the
following when you use xl create/xl pci-attach?

libxl: error: libxl_pci.c:... The kernel doesn't support reset from
sysfs for PCI device ...

> Greetings!
> Tobias

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 4770
[RV740] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc Device 0d00
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
<MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
        Region 0: Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        Region 2: Memory at fbb20000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
        Region 4: I/O ports at e000 [size=256]
        Expansion ROM at fbb00000 [disabled] [size=128K]
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
        Capabilities: [58] Express (v2) Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
                DevCap: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <4us, L1
unlimited
                        ExtTag+ AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset-
                DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal-
Unsupported-
                        RlxdOrd- ExtTag+ PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+
                        MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
                DevSta: CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq- AuxPwr-
TransPend-
                LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 5GT/s, Width x16, ASPM L0s L1, Latency L0
<64ns, L1 <1us
                        ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
                LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- Retrain- CommClk+
                        ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
                LnkSta: Speed 5GT/s, Width x16, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive-
BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
                DevCap2: Completion Timeout: Not Supported, TimeoutDis-
                DevCtl2: Completion Timeout: 50us to 50ms, TimeoutDis-
                LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 5GT/s, EnterCompliance- SpeedDis-,
Selectable De-emphasis: -6dB
                         Transmit Margin: Normal Operating Range,
EnterModifiedCompliance-
ComplianceSOS-
                         Compliance De-emphasis: -6dB
                LnkSta2: Current De-emphasis Level: -6dB
        Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
                Address: 00000000fee00438  Data: 0000
        Capabilities: [100 v1] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1
Len=010 <?>
        Kernel driver in use: pciback
        Kernel modules: radeon