[Xen-users] cannot ping vms created on ubuntu oneiric (11.10) dom0 + natty vm

  • To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Benjamin Weaver <benjamin.weaver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 18:22:35 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US, en-GB
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 18:24:07 +0000

When I create a vm using a default dom0 network interface as eth0, I cannot
ping the vm.

I notice that a virbr0 bridge is  created. I had never seen this virbr0 when
running Debian dom0s. I removed virbr0 by erasing the nodes in the default.xml
file specifying this bridge.

I still could not ping my vm.

Do I need explicitly to create a bridge called eth0? I never needed to to this
when running dom0 on Debian.

In a proper setup, would I have a network interface called eth0, and a bridge
called eth0, both expicitly defined in /etc/network/interfaces?

If so, do I give the bridge the same address information as the primary network
device, eth0?