Re: [Xen-users] Fwd: Re: Vm instead a real desktop.

i did something similar with windows when vt-d first came out. i had a box with 4 domains with kb/mouse/vga passthrough to each domain and it worked pretty well

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 8:21 PM, Andrew Wells <agwells0714@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Andrew Wells" <agwells0714@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Jan 29, 2012 8:20 PM
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Vm instead a real desktop.
To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@xxxxxxxxx>

I think what he wants is for users to be using the machine physically. But each user segregated by a vm.

On Jan 29, 2012 4:46 PM, "Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 12:37 AM, Mauro <mrsanna1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I want to use xen in my home notebook to manage various linux debian
> vm one for each user.
> My users use graphics windows manager like gnome and kde.
> Do you think that using xen in paravirtualized mode my users can use
> kde o gnome without any problem?

How would your "users" access your notobook?

Anyway, yes, it's possible. But you'd be better of having them using a
remote gui client (e.g. nx, rdesktop) to access their desktop instead
of using xen's vnc frame buffer.

And I suggest you list what you need first. Really, using a notebook
for other users to access is not a best option. While Xen - the open
osurce hypervisor that can be installed on top of a normal linux
distro - is suitable for many purposes, it's not really
newbie-friendly right now.

If it's just for you to test various distros, virtualbox might be
better. If it's a virtual-desktop-type server enviroment, xen server
or vmware esxi is much easier to manage.

--
Fajar