Re: [Xen-users] Problem with Appletalk - Xen related ?

Niels Dettenbach (Syndicat IT&Internet) wrote:

 >I installed Netatalk on a guest (also Debian Squeeze, PV) but atalkd
won't start - reporting "Can't configure multicast". If I install
Netatalk on Dom0 then it work

I'm not experienced with atalkd, but did your kernel provides the same IP and atalk features as in your Dom0 (i.e. IP multicast etc.)?

Did you use a bridged xen setup and is your bridge connected to the same physical network as your Dom0. If not, could you try that?

Network is a standard linux bridge setup via Dom0 networking tools, one bridge, one NIC, one network. Both kernels are stock Debian Squeeze, same package :
linux-image-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64, 2.6.32-41

I've now dug out a spare machine, transferred the guest system to it, and made only the minimum changes (fstab etc) to make it boot as a physical standalone machine. It starts atalkd, and nbmlkup returns the results I'd expect on my network.

So I think I can be sure it's not a software/config problem - the same image/setup works on a real machine but not as a PV guest under Xen.

Test machine is an AMD64 box, nVidia chipset, and forcedeth driver for the network. In the guest, "dmesg | grep eth0" doesn't show anything - is that to be expected ?

--
Simon Hobson