Re: [Xen-users] Spectacularly disappointing disk throughput

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 1:14 PM, <admin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would not read too much into these performance numbers.  I have found that
> FreeNAS is pretty slow even directly on physical hardware.  Using exactly the
> same hardware, OpenSolaris or Nexenta is way faster than FreeNAS.

I don't expect it to be blazingly fast -- that's not really a priority.

I'm not testing ZFS filesystem performance, just sequential reads from
the block device. At these numbers, five spindles working in concert
will barely saturate a legacy 10Mb/s link, and individual passthrough
of block devices is faster than passthrough of the PCI controller.

Something's seriously broken here :-)

> Why do you want to run FreeNAS in a VM.  Is it for production purposes or
> testing purposes?  I would not recommend running a file server as a VM if it
> is a performance sensitive production situation.

This project is for production home use. I'd like to have everything
in my house run in one physical server, rather than lots of little
ones.

The old server was OpenSolaris Dom0 with DomUs running on zvol
backstores. I'm trying to get away from Oracle, but want to retain
ZFS.

/chris