[Xen-users] [XCP] XCP NFS Root

So, a few days ago I asked about network/iSCSI booting XCP (dom0).
Doesn't seem like it's something that very many people have done, since
I didn't get much response, so I decided to give it a shot myself.  I
was able to install a couple of CentOS 5 packages that help with network
booting and get the system to boot off of NFS (can provide some more
detail on that, later), but now I'm running into a little networking
Catch-22.

Booting off NFS (or iSCSI, for that matter), you have to specify an
Ethernet device as your root device, and this device is brought up
during the initrd phase of the boot sequence in order to mount the root
filesystem.  So, I've specified eth0 as my root device, and it is
brought up successfully, obtains an IP address, and mounts the root FS.
Unfortunately this all falls apart when XCP goes to bring up xenbr0,
which contains eth0, in order to share the device with VMs that might
run on this host.

Another side effect of xenbr0 not coming up successfully seems to be
that none of the XCP management stuff actually listens on eth0 - it must
be configured to listen on xenbr0, so I cannot manage the XCP host using
any external tools.

I know some version of Xen contain scripts that move the IP address from
the ethernet card to the bridge during Xen initialization - I'm
wondering if anyone knows a good way to do this on XCP?  Or some other
way to get this NFS-over-root system to behave correctly.  Obviously I
could use a dedicated interface for network booting, but this isn't
ideal - the hosts I'm looking at booting over NFS have limited network
adapters, and I'd like to be able to maximize my use of them.

Thanks,
--
Nick Couchman
Manager, Information Technology

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to SEAKR.