I get Supermicro pointers from different places. I think that will be the way to go,

thx,

B.

On 02/23/12 18:18, thaddeus@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I have used DRBD for Den block devices before, without dual primary and no cluster fs. It worked very well for me.

I tend to like supermicro based systems for budget builds. Their IPMI management features are excellent. Aberdeen is a system builder that uses supermicro chassis and boards: http://www.aberdeeninc.com

-- Thaddeus

----- Reply message -----
From: "Bart Coninckx" <bart.coninckx@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Server purchase pointers
Date: Thu, Feb 23, 2012 9:40 am

On 02/23/12 16:25, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> My point is, last time I tried drbd+ocfs2 introduce huge performance
> penalty, complexity, and possible data loss. But then again, it was an
> active-active setup with no external heartbeat, relying on ocfs2 to
> reboot the nodes on split-brain scenario. If you HAVE tested it, then
> it's great. As usual, whatever solution you choose, testing is important.

The Xen + DRBD dual primary clusters I use or not file/image based, so
no real need for ocfs2 and the added complexity of it.
There is little risk for split-brain as everything is controlled by
Pacemaker. No worries there, performance is good.

> "dual primary" and "active-active" is similar, but can be different.
> An active-active drbd setup requires protocol C (sync), which (among
> others) decrease performance but allow live migration.
yes, that is what I'm using. The performance is very acceptable.
remember, this offers web services. The available bandwidth and amount
of simultaneous users will probably never hit the DRBD performance limits.

> An active-standby setup can use async replication, which should be
> much better performance-wise. If each node is acting as active for
> their own domUs while acting as standby for domUs on the other node,
> that can be considered dual primary.
disallowing live migration, not preferable.

> If your definition of dual primary is what I mentioned above, then
> yes, drbd would be more appropriate. However if you have live
> migration as requirement, then IMHO a third storage server is much
> better.

that's relative - as mentioned, this offers a SPOF.

also, way more expensive. the inital question pointed to a cost/budget
friendly proposition.

The LSI 2008 based Supermicro servers (like in
http://www.servethehome.com/supermicro-x8si6-f-motherboard-review-including-onboard-lsi-sas-2008-controller/)
seem interesting,

B.