Re: [Xen-users] Mainline Kernel

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Now that Xen Dom0 kernel is in the mainline kernel at kernel.org for 3.0+,
> does this mean that the concept of installing a "kernel-xen" package on a
> to-be hypervisor no longer exists, assuming that the to-be hypervisor is
> running a 3.0+ kernel?

It depends.

A distro MIGHT still want to have separate kernel-xen, which could
include (for example) some functionality not yet on upstream, like
blktap.

> Specifically, does this mean that for Ubuntu 11.10 (which uses a 3.x kernel
> by default), it can run as a Dom0 out of the box?

I don't know, haven't tried :)

I DO know that elrepo.org's kernel-ml, as well as my own self-compiled
3.1 kernel (based on Fedora's SRPM) works as both native and dom0
kernel, after editing grub config manually.

> Also, does this mean that any updates for xen Dom0/DomU stuff comes just
> like any "normal" kernel update, since it's mainline?

For kernel-related stuff? Should be.

--
Fajar