Re: [Xen-users] [Xen-devel] [REQUEST] Request for Xen Users to Attempt Jean David Techer's Xen 4.2-unstable VGA Passthrough Documentation

On 03/29/2012 11:55 PM, Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
On 30/03/2012 07:03, Wei Huang wrote:
On 03/29/2012 04:29 PM, Casey DeLorme wrote:
David,

XenServer VGA Passthrough requires a paid/licensed copy, which costs $2500, a bit out of my price range for experimentation.  Important to note that the feature is not a part of the 30-day trial license.

However, Citrix recently visited my college and I was able to preview hardware access on a laptop one of the employees had, where they swapped between Ubuntu and Windows with a hotkey, and various hardware components including onboard GPU and the WebCam were accessible.

In testing XenServer, I can say that if I had a business, that's the product I would use.  In the past month having tried Xen and ESXi, I was astonished with the ease of use for XenServer.

As for Catalyst, version 12.2 (the latest currently) worked for me.

Important to note that until I followed Andrews advice to omit the Catalyst Control Center, the installation resulted in a BSOD.
I saw similar issue whiling playing with XenClient. After discussing with AMD GPU driver team, the conclusion was that the installer has a bug. But I have not received any further update from them. Also manual driver installation (after many tries) did fix problem for me.

The solution, select "Custom" installation and uncheck the CCC.  After the installation your first reboot should run some follow-up updates via cmd, you need to reboot a second time for fully functional drivers.

Also, I had underscan on my monitor so I went out on a limb and re-ran the setup for Catalyst, and was able to get CCC installed with a second run through, which allowed me to fix my underscan issue.

My conclusion is that the CCC requires some driver functionality that isn't available until after you install the drivers, this could be on all systems or it might be related to how HVM's handle the PCI devices, that much I can't say.

Teo,

I could be spouting nonsense, and if so I'm sure Wei can correct me, but I am pretty sure AMD engineers have been contributing to Xen for a while, and some patches have already been applied.  Obviously it isn't flawless, I myself haven't gotten video at boot time, only at the login screen.

This is because VBIOS patch wasn't applied. But as I said before, my VBIOS wasn't universal enough to put it as a production patch. So I am hesitant to put it out.

Dear Wei Huang at AMD Corporation,

Please put your Xen VGA Passthrough patch out so that all of us can have a try.

Thank you very much.

http://old-list-archives.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-10/msg00284.html
--
Yours sincerely,

Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
Singapore

Mine works on 4.1.2, but it is possible that 4.1.0 had less of these "patches" hence Sebastien's post.

Also, I apologize as I did not properly word my opinion before.  VGA Passthrough is new "for consumer components".  In 2010 the number of desktop (not server) boards boasting VT-d functionality could probably be counted on one hand.  To my understanding that means the technology is at most 3 years old, still a baby in my opinion.

I didn't mean that the technology hadn't been implemented into various Hypervisors, just that it is clearly not a perfected feature.  If you consider 3 years of consumer availability, dates become important when researching.  Sebastien's post was May 2011, just shy of one year ago, and Thomas's was in 2010.

There are newer patches still for ATI in Xen 4.2, which I intend to test over the next week.  I have NOT gotten ATI to work at boot time, video starts at the login screen.

I agree with Wei that drivers can contribute to BSOD's and errors, but when an install doesn't fail but the hardware reacts the same as before, I would like to assume the driver is irrelative.

Have you looked at XenClient project? It has a customized ATI component which allows you to switch between VMs flawlessly. I think it is the most mature Xen solution for GPU passthru in client area.

Dear Wei Huang at AMD Corporation,

May I know what is the XenClient project?

~Casey