Re: [Xen-users] How to set up 1GBit NIC for "Other template" on XCP 1.5

Am 14.04.2012 21:18, schrieb Simon Hobson:
Mark Schneider wrote:

When installing e.g. Ubuntu 11.10 there is RTL-8139 with "only 10/100MBit".

I assume you are talking about installing a PV guest, and this is the only NIC that shows up ? You needn't worry as this is a virtual NIC, there is actually nothing explicitly limiting data rates as there is with a real NIC (where rates are determined by hardware).

The actual rate achieved will be limited by the real NICs in the host, and the ability of the networking thread in Dom0 to shift the bits around.

Thanks a lot for your hint Simon.

I use "Other template" and it is (as far I understood) HVM.

When transfering big size image from another stand alone server to the VM (ubuntu 11.10) I have 4 to 12MBit/s only (and I saw RTL-8139 during installation of this ubuntu-VM).

I have tested it yet also with CentOS 6.2 on the same XCP-host (I used "Other template" for the VM too) and got network speed a bit over 30MBit/s. It would be to fast for 100MBit/s, so I am a bit confused now.

On bare metal I am getting over 70MBit/s (the host is an HP DL385g7 machine).

I use bounded interfaces however only one port is connected to the switch at the moment.

--
ms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://rsync.it-infrastrukturen.org