Re: [Xen-users] running xcp (or xenserver) from usb driver or SD card

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:01:35 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 15:02:11 +0000

Hello.

El 14/04/12 02:18, insrc escribió:
Do you think it's possible to run Xenserver/XCP or xen from an usb drive
or memory card like it's possible for vmware please ? Is it recommended
? Are there any performance issue  :-) ?  I would like to dedicate all
of  the local storage to hosting VMs only.
Yes, it is quite possible. Can't say much about real performance, I have not went farther than a proof of concept myself, but i do not expect it to be an issue. It will respond slower to control commands, but the VM's should run ok.

Looking at xen/xenserver/xcp doc, i was wondering why there's so few
tutorial on installing them on usb drive.
You just install it normally, using USB as installation media.

Is the USB flash memory is smaller than 10G, you will need to patch installer's initrd (it has a hardcoded limit), here is a reference:
http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/1168
Note that the partition size should be less than half of the size of the flash drive, because by default the installer creates two identical partitions on it. I used "root_size = 1792" for a "4GB" drive.

I ended up with the environment to deploy XCP automatically via PXE. I use PXE boot a lot, between other things it avoids the re-creation a bootable ISO when i alter initrd. Here the references I have used:

# customize installation initrd:
http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/1168
http://blog.mybox.ro/2010/05/12/how-to-change-files-in-a-initrd-image/

# prepare answers file: