Re: [Xen-users] HVM performance issues

On 5/3/2012 6:26 PM, Ray Barnes wrote:
Thanks for the replies.  I found and installed James' PV drivers,
version 0.11.0.357.  It did wonders for my disk throughput.  But it
also created a new problem with transmission throughput on the NIC.
Prior to the PV installation, I had a minimum of 50 megabits
bi-directional throughput, with the dom0 uplinked to the network via
FastE.  Now, post-installation, although my download throughput is
much faster and more consistent, my upload throughput out to the
Internet is extremely slow, on the order of 5 megabits/sec for a
single thread.  I can not duplicate this locally to my LAN - I'm able
to push 80 to 90 mbits/sec to the local LAN.  But every single test
I'm running to speedtest.net results in uploads between 1-5 mbits/sec.
  For reference, I'm able to do 50+ mbits/sec upload to the same
targets via a nonvirtualized Windows box on my network.  The problem
is definitely confined to the Windows domU (version 2003 R2).

I'm invoking the vif like this:

vif = [ 'type=iommu, mac=00:16:3e:00:00:09, bridge=something,
script=vif-something']

I've also tried it with 'model=intel' appended but with no change.
Also, against my better judgment, I implemented the registry changes
mentioned at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee377084%28v=bts.10%29.aspx
for better network performance (via the supplied PowerShell script at
the bottom), no change also.

Any idea what's happening?

I've seen problems with GSO and TSO causing corrupted checksums for packets with certain properties in the past, which might be affecting you here (this issue, if seen, would cause random dropped packets, killing transfer speeds). Try turning off TSO/GSO/GRO/LRO both in dom0 (using ethool -K) and on the virtual network adapter in the domU.

Since you have the GPLPV drivers installed, you can also remove "type=iommu, " from the vif line. I don't know if it hurts to have it there, but it shouldn't hurt to remove it.

-John