Re: [Xen-users] Firewall in domU, networking in XEN

S½awek Kosowski wrote:
I need to clarify the ethernet interface setting.
I found this link: http://old-list-archives.xen.org/archives/html/xen-users/2006-02/msg00602.html

Since I will have only one NIC at dom0 that I will passthrough to domU1, which interface do I choose for dom0 to be bridged with domU1 ?

None at all. You can have a bridge with no physical NICs assigned to it.

I enclose the drawing in the attachment.
If I make a PCI passthrough for eth device, is it assigned to vif1.0 in domU1 ?
I understand that I make the bridges in domU0 ?

That would be Dom0, not DomU0.
If you passthrough the NIC to the firewall DomU then it will appear as ETH<n> in DomU - there will be no VIF associated with it.

On your drawing, delete "peth0" in Dom0 (it's in the wrong place anyway BTW*), so "net" connects directly to eth0 in Dom1. Dom0 will have an IP address on br0 - ie br0 will be it's interface when you do "ifconfig".

This is completely different to the technique in the post you link to.
If you delete peth1 from the diagram in that post then you'll have more or less what you want - br1 and br2 are the internal bridges, and you connect virtual machines (including Dom0) to whichever you want. Again, for Dom0 you just give it an IP address on br<n> and it will work.

Both methods will work, which you use is largely a matter of preference.

--
Simon Hobson