Re: [Xen-users] gaming on multiple OS of the same machine?

On 5/15/2012 5:42 PM, James Harper wrote:
Be careful with this... a hyperthread is not equivalent to a real thread. Last time I
checked, the hyperthread only ran while the main thread was stalled (waiting for memory
fetch or something). Before the various schedulers (Linux/Windows) learnt about how to
manage hyperthreads there were cases where performance was worse with hyperthreading
turned on. Even the last server build I did for running a specific application says
"make sure hyperthreading is disabled" in the setup notes

While hyperthreading is not anywhere close to adding a core, I've found that the current versions of it is are light years beyond the old P4 implementation. That one definitely needed to be disabled, as it hurt performance pretty badly for latency-sensitive applications, possibly because of the problem you describe.

The current implementation seems to interleave two threads running on a single physical core well and give them roughly the same resources, with minimal delays involved.

Just always be aware that hyperthreads are not real cores, make sure not to manually set affinities (so that the OS/hypervisor can schedule running processes/vcpus onto separate physical cores when possible), and know that when you see "50%" overall CPU usage, you're actually a lot closer to 85%!

-John