Re: [Xen-users] Xen or KVM

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 5:04 PM, Arindam Choudhury <arindam@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> From: fbcyborg@xxxxxxxxx
>> Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 11:56:31 +0200
>> Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen or KVM
>> To: arindam@xxxxxxxx
>> CC: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> On 16 May 2012 11:49, Arindam Choudhury <arindam@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I am new to virtualization and I am having the obvious hassle of
>> > choosing
>> > between Xen and KVM.
>> Hi,
>>
>> it depends on how much time you have. I prefer XEN, absolutely, but if you
>> hurry and you are not patient, KVM could be a valid alternative.
>> Of course if you ask here this question, it is unlikely to find people
>> suggesting
>> KVM instead of XEN ;-)
>
> The question is why you personally like Xen? What benefits you getting over
> KVM?

It used to be that Xen PV delivers superior I/O performance. So we've
used it extensively with RHEL5 dom0 and its bundled version of xen
(xen 3.1.2+, kernel 2.6.18.x). However depending on how you test it,
recent version of xen actually suffer from reduced performance
compared to older version (search list archive for details).

My personal benchmark (two years ago, I think) using mysql+sysbench
and fio, comparing RHEL5+xen, RHEL6+kvm, and vmware, pretty much shows
the same result though. That's why I said use whatever you're
comfortable with.

I'd be better if you can perform your own benchmark, using test load
specific to your particular environment.

--
Fajar