[Xen-users] domU backup strategy

  • To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Sławek Kosowski <slawek.k_xl@xxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 10:44:49 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 17 May 2012 08:46:12 +0000

I'm looking for efficient backup method of all domUs. I've searched the group
and googled for perfect backup solution - without good enough results.

My configuration is following (PV):
3 zones: FW, DMZ, LOC

dom0 in LOC minimal config, only hypervisor
domU1 as FW with OpenVPN running
domU2 in DMZ with external services
domU3 in LOC with local services

All domains run with LVM. I can afford for some downtime during the night to
make consistent snapshots. Domains are reasonably small < 10 GB. Presumably
domU3 will have DB partition growing ~150MB / week.
Now, dom0 won't have an acces to the Internet when domU1 is down. However, I
can reconfigure interface on dom0 when doing backup - but I don't want dom0 to
have direct access to the net.

Therefore, the idea would be to keep snapshots in separate logical volumes and
then mount them to additional domain that will send them to NFS attached with
VPN. This solution would require 2x disk space, assuming that volumes would be
copied and other domains already running.
I can keep them stopped and then send the snapshots via NFS, but this would
increase the downtime significantly.

By copied I mean rsynced :)
I plan to backup dom0 by making LVM snapshot on unmounted system.

How it can be done better ?

Slawomir Kosowski