Re: [Xen-users] How to create a Persistent VNC connection to a VM?

> I think your best bet would be to write a proxy server that keeps the VNC
> client's connection open and periodically attempts to reconnect to the VNC
> server when the server goes down.  The VNC protocol is actually really
> simple, so you could probably implement one without that much difficulty.

I was actually looking into this a little while back. One thing I decided
though was that qemu would need to make a 'reverse vnc' connection so that it
connects to the proxy as the server, which would remove the need for the proxy
to poll the server (or even know which physical server IP the client was
running on). For some reason though, qemu has its own implementation of vnc
rather than using libvnc (or whatever it is called), so this change is more
than a one-liner, although maybe still not that difficult.

I also can't remember how the password authentication works in the reverse
connection mode... ideally the client and server would have to authenticate
with each other but having the server authenticate to the proxy would be
sufficient. Anything else would be a security hole.

The other advantage of this for me is that in a cluster of physical machines
where the VM's float around depending on load etc, they all still just connect
to the same proxy.

James