Re: [Xen-users] problems connecting to HVM guest OS via VNC Viewer

On Tue, 2012-05-29 at 04:59 +0100, Jane Wayne wrote:
> on my windows box, i download vnc viewer, and try to connect to my
> Dom0 at 192.168.0.201, but i get the following message
>
> unable to connect to host: Connection refused (10061)

> my questions are:
> 1. why can't i connect to the LAP IP and port 5900 from Dom0 and
> another location using telnet or VNC?

By default, for security reasons, the vnc server only listens on
localhost (127.0.0.1) so you can only connect to it from the xen host
itself and not externally.

If you want to connect externally you can add
        vnclisten = "0.0.0.0"
to your guest configuration (0.0.0.0 means "all interfaces", instead you
could also give a specific host IP address to listen on). You almost
certainly also want
        vncpasswd = "password"
otherwise the connect is totally unsecured. Even with this it is
unencrypted. You might want to investigate ssh tunnelling or the TLS
options too.

> 2. i also tried to connect using "sudo gvncviewer localhost:0" and
> "sudo gvncviewer localhost:5900" from Dom0, but get "Cannot open
> display". are there missing dependencies?

You need to use ssh X11 forwarding for this to to work, try "ssh -Y
<host>". Obviously you need an xserver on the client end too -- you
mention a windows client so I have no idea where you would get one of
those.

Ian.