Re: [Xen-users] Hotplugging FPGA to running VM

Are you sure the guest OS has PCI hotplug support?

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 10:14 PM, Anil Rao <anil.rao@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to assign a FPGA (which is a PCI device) to a running VM. The interesting thing here is that the FPGA is not present when the VM was powered-on. I.e. sometime after the VM was started, the FPGA was brought on-line on the host by downloading its image to the device.

So far my attempts at using Xen PCI-passthrough have not been successful. Although Xen reports that the pass-through operation was successful, which I have verified using the appropriate xl command, I am unable to see the FPGA from within the guest OS.

I have tried both manual rescanning of the PCI bus inside the guest as well as making use of the pciehp driver. The only way I can (reliably) see the FPGA from within the guest, is to shutdown and restart the VM and then redo the hotplug operation. I want to avoid a VM reboot and was wondering if this is at all possible and if so what do I need to do to realize it.

[The virtualization host is based on the default Xen setup that comes with SLES 11 SP2]

Thanks for any help on this matter.

-Anil