Re: [Xen-users] Installing XAPI on Debian Wheezy with Xen 4.2-unstable?

Questions about XCP and XAPI are best addressed to the xen-api@ list.
I've CCd it for you.

On Thu, 2012-05-31 at 14:47 +0100, cyberhawk001@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I have not had any luck getting the XAPI to install or even work in
> Debian Wheezy 64bit SO figured i ask anyone out there:
>
> 1.) Has any Xen user(s) have successfully installed the XAPI Toolstack
> on Xen 4.2-unstable and how were you able to do it?

XAPI needs to be built against the specific hypervisor version it is
going to run against. The XAPI packages in Wheezy are built against the
4.1 packages in Wheezy.

Why don't you just use the packaged version of both Xen (i.e. 4.1) and
xcp-xapi from Wheezy, this is sure to bethe quickest way to getting an
XCP system up and running. Unless you have a really strong reason to
build the Xen yourself this is something which is best left to the
distros.

In the past xapi has needed actual porting effort when moving between
Xen versions. I don't know if this will be the case for moving 4.1->4.2
but I would suggest that unless you

> 2.) Has anyone been able to compile the XAPI Toolstack from source and
> again how to do that?

This I don't know. Have you checked the wiki pages? Also you could just
rebuild the Debian packages in the normal way.

> - I had Xen 4.2-unstable installed, removed it and ran sudo apt-get
> xcp-xapi, which installs Xen 4.1.2. I was able to boot into Xen, the
> XE toolstack i just can't get to load or run, even the XM toolstack
> doesn't work either. Following the Wiki guides don't quite help yet.
> The /etc/init.d folder only contains xendomains, xen and all of the
> xcp-* daemons.
>
> - I would be nice to know how to just remove/uninstall
> xen-hypervisor-4.1-amd64, xen-utils-4.1, xen-utils-common, and
> xenstore-utils, so than one can install Xen 4.2-unstable instead.

Why do you want to do this? Why not run 4.1 which is what the XCP
packages are built against and what people have been testing in the
context of Wheezy?

> - On the flip-side, it would be nice if it was easy to install JUST
> the XAPI Toolstack as a standalone package on top of an existing Xen
> Dom0... :)

I don't understand this. If you have an existing Xen dom0 can't you just
apt-get install xcp-xapi?

> Thank you for any input from anyone who has experimented with XAPI
> installation on  Debian.

I've not run XAPI on Debian but it seems to me that by trying to use
4.2-unstable you are making life much more difficult for yourself than
it needs to be. Just use the existing packages in Debian and I think
things will go much smoother.

Even if you do have a good reason for running 4.2 I'd suggest following
the guides with 4.1 first so you get a feel for things before striking
off and blazing a new trail to 4.2.

Ian.