Re: [Xen-users] the simplest example to start

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 11:47:58 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 16:50:06 +0000

El 08/06/12 10:44, Massimo Canonico escribió:
Unfortunately, it's all day long than I'm fighting with a very simple
problem: try to make a ttylinux (or any other small linux distro) up and
running over Xen.

I saw many config files which "xm create -c" says they are wrong (for
example: Error: Cannot find kernel "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xenU" -- or it is
missing the initrd file...). Moreover the ttylinux (from its web page)
comes with an "iso" file and many tutorials are not using this kind of
file.
In the most "simple" case, the config file instructs Xen to read the kernel and initrd form Dom0 (your host system), via a path. If the file is not on the disk, it will fail with that error message.

Extract your ttylinux's kernel and initrd, place them somewhere under your Dom0, make sure the VM config file has the correct path to them. Please note that the kernel need to have Xen support. Before 3.0, it's not the same kernel you would use to boot on a baremetal machine.

So, I would ask if you know some place (tutorial/blog) where I can find
the very basic steps in order to accomplish my task. I do not care about
ttylinux, I just want a very simple example.
It has been boarded a few days ago, here is a reference: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/xen/users/246910
(not sure if there is a more oficial source of this mailing list archive)

--
Alexandre Kouznetsov