Re: [Xen-users] X not working under xen

  • To: "," <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Sean Anderson <anderssn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 01:42:30 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 01:44:31 +0000

Sorry this isn't a direct reply, but I've just made my account and can't see how to reply to an archived email.

>Hello,
>
>I'm building a dom0 system from sources and facing a problem with the
>xorg server. I've successfully compiled and booted a dom0 with xen
>4.1.2. Everything works fine and Im able to start an HVM Windows
>domain. Now comes the problem: the Xorg server using either vesa or
>fbdev driver can't start:
>
> - when using the vesa driver it just fails with error messages (see
>the attached log xorg_vesa.log)
> - when using the fbdev driver it tries to start but the screen goes
>blank and I can't get the terminal back. However I can login using a
>serial cable. I see that dom0 is alive and the Xorg server failed to
6>start.
> ( see the attached log xorg_fbdev.log).
>
>CONFIG_DMAR (now it is CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU) is on per
>http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Paravirtualized_DRM. The kernel config is
>attached as well.
>
>Am I missing something to get it working? The Xorg server starts just
>fine when booting dom0 without xen.
>Thanks in advance.
>
>--
>Best regards,
>Dmitry Ivanov
>
>A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion
>Q: Why is top posting bad?
I had a similar problem using Xen 4.1.2 and Arch Linux as dom0, with the Nvidia drivers.  Found a workaround here:
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=646987
Try adding "nopat" to your kernel options in grub (the dom0 kernel line, not the xen kernel line) and see if that works?

Good luck,
Sean Anderson