Re: [Xen-users] dom-0 pin or schedule high?

On Tue, 2012-07-24 at 22:06 -0700, Periko Support wrote:
> Hi Running Xen 4.1.x

Hi,

> Reading about schedulers, I normally give 1-2 cores to dom-0, reading
> about schedulers it say that we can give a dedicate core to the dom-0
> or increase scheduler +256.
>
> What is the rule? can both?

Mmm... I'm not sure I've understood your question. However, the point
is, depending on your configuration, it is possible that Dom0 will be
performing some operation on behalf of the various DomUs. Besides than
that, being able to access Dom0 for system maintenance purposes (such as
killing/rebooting DomUs, etc) is something one wants to be always
possible.

For these reasons, it is often advised to act in such a way that Dom0
gets some chances to run, independently from what the DomUs do and from
how much load that generates. Hence those rules you're citing, which aim
at achieving right this, although at different levels ad with different
methods.

No one of them is better than the other per-se, it really depends on
your setup and on your workload. Finally, if you want to know if it's
possible to do both things, i.e., reserving one or more core for Dom0
AND boosting its scheduling priority, well, it is, but it's also a bit
pointless. :-P

Regards,
Dario

Dario Faggioli, Ph.D, http://retis.sssup.it/people/faggioli