Re: [Xen-users] xm console command doesn't work

Hello,

When you say it doesn’t work, what isn’t working, errors?

Ian

From: José Eduardo França [mailto:jefranca@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 03 August 2012 21:41
To: Stephan Seitz
Cc: Ian Campbell; Lukas Laukamp; xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; Ian Tobin
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xm console command doesn't work

Hi all,

I can't still resolve.
How Ian Campbell said the xl console command didn't work.

Well... I tried the script /etc/init/hvc0.conf that Lukas suggested and my guest.cfg was changed to:
    name = "ubuntu-pv"

    memory = 256
    disk = ['phy:/dev/labprog/ubuntu-pv,xvda,w']

    vif = [' ']

    bootloader = "pygrub"
    extra = "console=hvc0"

But, I can't run xm console command. Is there other idea?
Thanks

2012/8/2 Stephan Seitz <s.seitz@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Am Donnerstag, den 02.08.2012, 08:16 +0100 schrieb Ian Campbell:

On Wed, 2012-08-01 at 20:59 +0100, Lukas Laukamp wrote:

> he could also use the xl toolstack but the simple misstake is that the
> hvc0.conf isn't needed in Dom0. The hvc0.conf is needed inside of the
> DomU and in the config file must be set extra = 'console=hvc0' so that
> the console kernel option for hvc0 is set. So the DomU can boot into a
> hvc0 console and than xm and xl can use the console.

pygrub should be getting the console=hvc0 from the grub cfg and
hvc0.conf ought to already exist.

If Ubuntu isn't setting these up by default during install when running
under Xen then this should be reported as a bug to Ubuntu.

I'm not familiar with current Ubuntu so I don't know if these are
expected to be there i.e. I don't know if this is a wishlist/new-feature
bug or just a bug in functionality which is expected to Just Work
already.

Ian.

Current (12.04 LTS) Ubuntu, respectively the 3.2.0 linux-virtual Kernel as well as the grub-legacy-ec2 are
aware of hvc0.

I think the source of these console problems are the configurable different presets. One could use tty0
as well as tty1, maybe hvc0 or xvc0 or both of them. The domU I'm currently peeking into spawns tty0
and hvc0 with tty0 connected to the "serial" xl console and hvc0 connected to vfb/vnc setting. But that
can't be predicted, it's easy to configure it the opposite way.

From my point of view, the definition of virtualization namespaces (hvcN, xvcN, xvdMN) jumped in far to late.
There have been huge clusters build before one was even thinking about hvc0.

Just my 2 cents, and I'm sorry that this won't help the OP to solve his issue easily.

Cheers,

Stephan