[Xen-users] XCP default partition layout?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: John Morris <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 23:09:30 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 04:11:06 +0000

Hi list,

I've been playing with XCP for the first time the last couple of days. I like the 'xe' commands. With other systems that have a complex command line tool, I often have trouble remembering all the different command names and exceptions to arguments ('koji' is the latest that really pains me), but 'xe' is clean and clear, nice!

I had intended to install the host OS on a separate disk, but that didn't work out, so instead it's going onto the pair of very small 10k RPM disks that I had hoped to devote entirely to domU filesystems.

The XCP installer creates two partitions of about 4GB each on the first disk. The first is the root / filesystem, clear enough. I can't seem to find any documentation about it. The beginning appears to contain all NULLs, and 'strings' finds nothing human-legible in it.

Anyone know what that partition is for? Can it be removed, or else moved to the beginning of the second disk?

I'm also curious about the status of XCP RPM packages, parallel to the Debian packages that already exist. I'm a tad uncomfortable with 'appliances', and would like to get the system under configuration management, although XCP really does give enough value that I'm willing to deal with it for now. ;)

Thanks-

        John