[Xen-users] Fast Network Bridge

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Artem Metra" <Artem.Metra@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 16:12:58 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 14:32:05 +0000

Hi,
I'm working a lot with xen and migration. Now I switched to Xen 4.2 which is
really nice. But there is one big problem. A performence issue.
I used Xen 4.1 with a networkbridge by using the following line in the
vm-config:
vif = [ "bridge=eth0,script=vif-bridge" ]

In Xen 4.2 this is not possible anymore so that i have entered the following in
my /etc/network/interfaces:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto xenbr1
iface xenbr1 inet dhcp
        bridge_ports eth0

And used the bridge by entering this in the vm-config:
vif = [ "bridge=xenbr1" ]

Using the same system und software with xen 4.1 a live migration has 400
milliseconds network downtime. With Xen 4.2 the network downtime is 5 seconds!!!

I tested it by sending udp pakages from the vm to another pc every ms.
Big delays are the network downtime.

Does anybody see my fault or is xen 4.2 slower in this kind of work.

Best regards