Re: [Xen-users] Poor Windows 2003 + GPLPV performance compared to VMWare

On Thu, 2012-09-13 at 13:25 +0100, Adam Goryachev wrote:
> Then, the user ran the above process, and got consistently, results of
> approx 2500 transactions per second

Are you certain the GPLPV drivers have taken hold and you aren't using
emulated devices?

I don't know how you can tell from within Windows but from dom0 you can
look in the output of "xenstore-ls -fp" for the "state" node associated
with each device frontend -- they should be in state 4 (connected).

[...]
> memory        = 4096
> shadow_memory    = 12

This seems low to me. The default is 1M per CPU, plus 8K per M of RAM,
which is 4M + 8*4096K = 4M+32M = 36M. Do you have any reason to second
guess this? (Usually this option is used to increase shadow RAM where
the workload demands it).

Does your system have HAP (hardware assisted paging, EPT or NPT on
Intel/AMD respectively)?

> device_model    = '/usr/lib/xen-default/bin/qemu-dm'
> localtime    = 1
> name        = "vm1"
> cpus        = "2,3,4,5"    # Which physical CPU's to allow

Have you pinned dom0 to use pCPU 1 and/p pCPUs > 6?

How many dom0 vcpus have you configured?

Does your system have any NUMA properties?

And as James suggests it would also be useful to benchmark iSCSI running
in dom0 and perhaps even running on the same system without Xen (just
Linux) using the same kernel. I'm not sure if VMware offers something
similar which could be used for comparison.

Ian.