Re: [Xen-users] Recommendations for Virtulization Hardware

Thanks for the CC Andrew,

I responded in private since I didn't want to spam the list.

Since we're on the subject of the latest hardware, my system was using a Z68 Motherboard Chipset and Core i7 SandyBridge CPU (2600).  I just sold it to a friend and upgraded to the latest.

Now running an IvyBridge 3770, Z77 Motherboard Chipset (ASRock Z77 Extreme 9), and similar components for the rest.  The Extreme 9 price is extremely high, I wouldn't recommend it unless you have the money, their Z77 Extreme 6 is priced at the same as the Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, and has all the same features plus more USB 3.0.  I would give that one a shake if you are looking for newest components.  The hardest part of switching from the Extreme4 Gen3 was remapping the USB ports to USB controllers by PCI BDF in Linux, because I haven't found an easy way to do that using the systems information yet.

As soon as I'm done putting together the details, I'll append the new hardware information to the wiki.

As for changes, the new Z77 chipset has onboard USB 3.0 in exchange for some of the formerly USB 2.0 ports.  In my performance demo video I showed that USB 2.0 speeds are sub-par, but even SUB 2.0 devices can hit higher rates when connected to a USB 3.0 port.  As far as the IvyBridge CPU, onboard graphics are noticeably better in Dom0, and file decompression in my Windows HVM appears to be faster.  I have not run any benchmark tests yet.

I compiled the new Xen 4.2 stable, as tagged in the new 4.2 testing branch, but I may try the older revision of Xen in my guide.  I am getting an error on the first-launch attempt of any virtual machine with passed devices.  When I try again it works, but it's 5 lines worth of errors which makes the following success seem less joyful.

I tried kernel 3.5.4, and it appears to be suffering the same passthrough bugs as 3.5.2, so I would avoid 3.5+ still.  I ended up with Kernel 3.4.11, which is working.

One good bit of news was I kept my SSD, so I was able to just recreate the HVM configuration and launch Windows without problems.  Only issues were new drivers, and Windows asking to reactivate due to HW changes.

Hope this information helps,

~Casey