Re: [Xen-users] Success VGA passthrough on windows 7 x64 with Xen 4.2.1-pre

On 02/10/2012 19:02, Dariusz Krempa wrote:

Hi.
I did some researches to find out how I did install drivers for nvidia vga under windows 7 DomU and this is my conclusion. No matter how system is prepared, Dom0 and hardware, if it works with windows xp then could work with windows 7 (my testing platform had Dom0 kernel 3.6-rc7 with xen 4.2.1-pre). Most important thing is how to foul windows to accept drivers. This is how I did this. Three separate installations of windows 7 and each time success:

1) for windows 7 installation in DomU configuration setup like this:
gfx_passthrough=0
#pci = ['1:00.0']  // in my case NVIDIA VGA BDF is 1:00.0
#pci_msitranslate =

2) when You install windows 7 shut it down and change DomU config. show vga to windows but don't pass it thru yet:
gfx_passthrough=0
pci = ['1:00.0']
#pci_msitranslate =

3) start DomU and install nvidia drivers. in my case 275.33 or 275.50, both work and I didnt check newer

4) shut down DomU and setup his configuration. its finally configuration in my case :
gfx_passthrough=1
pci = ['1:00.0']
#pci_msitranslate =

5*)create DomU and drivers could works and no error 43

* because my system setup i need to restart Dom0  before step 5
** if there still will be reported problem with drivers under windows 7 I will make more researches for different kernels/Dom0 configurations

Dear Dariusz Krempa,

I am unable to get vga passthrough to work with Xen 4.2.0 and Xen 4.2.1-pre. After my Windows 8 HVM domU starts, it shows me a blank screen permanently. I cannot even get partial success with VGA passthrough with Xen 4.2.0 and 4.2.1-pre.

--
Yours sincerely,
Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)