Re: [Xen-users] Xen 4.0 Debian squeeze host reset on HVM guest start

On 04/10/12 19:09, Sergey Mereutsa wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I faced with the following problem: when I try to start HVM guest (I
> want to install windows XP as one of the guests), the whole host
> machine resets - no logs, no errors, nothing - like someone just
> pressed _physical_ reset switch on the server after this:
>
> xm create /etc/xen/windows.cfg
> Using config file "/etc/xen/windows.cfg".
> Started domain xp-hvm (id=3)
>
> <- here reset happens :(
>
> Other DomU - linux guests) are fine, no problems observed.
I know, I've had this problem a number of times in the past as well.
I've never tracked it down, but I can say that it does (sometimes) work.
I'm not entirely sure what the differences are etc...

However, to make it work, I've found upgrading to Debian testing
packages works every time, it is significantly more reliable. Also, at
this stage in the release cycle, IMHO, testing is fairly stable (ie,
doesn't get a lot of new packages/updates etc), so I am using it in
production in a couple of places (were I needed to migrate from a
physical windows machine to a VM).

I hope this helps in some way.

Regards,
Adam