[Xen-users] Serial Console Not Connecting to Dom0 on Ubuntu Server 12 Running Xen 4.1.3

Xen-users,

I have what I think is a bug in the serial console interaction of Xen and
Ubuntu. Essentially, the serial console appears to work just fine until it is
passed off to dom 0 from Xen. Then it stops communicating with dom0, but still
communicates with Xen, if I use the control-A escape sequence. Google will not
show me anything related to this.

I have local RS-232 serial console working correctly, when the host is Fedora
instead of Ubuntu, so I know that the client side is just fine. I have tried 2
different clients, Linux Mint and Mac OS X, with the identical problematic
results.

Serial connection to bare metal Ubuntu 12 works just fine.

The serial console shows all of the GRUB and Xen boot messages but then seems
to disconnect from dom 0. Serial I/O to the firmware works fine; I can stop the
boot and change the BIOS. Serial I/O to GRUB works fine, I can work with GRUB.
However when booting from Xen into dom 0, the serial I/O seems to be only going
to the hypervisor.

I have tried with and without an hvc0.cfg file in /etc/init but it makes no
difference.

The xm dmesg does not give me much help:

----
root@xenpro3:~# xm dmesg | grep serial
(XEN) ******* that all output is synchronously delivered on the serial line.
----

Serial console output server side, failure at last line (mountall)
----
/dev/ttyS1 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
 * Stopping System V initialisation compatibility                        [ OK ]
 * Starting System V runlevel compatibility                              [ OK ]
 * Starting save kernel messages                                         [ OK ]
 * Starting KVM                                                          [ OK ]
 * Starting automatic crash report generation                            [ OK ]
 * Starting ACPI daemon                                                  [ OK ]
 * Starting regular background program processing daemon                 [ OK ]
 * Starting deferred execution scheduler                                 [ OK ]
 * Starting CPU interrupts balancing daemon                              [ OK ]
 * Starting crash report submission daemon                               [ OK ]
 * Starting Block the mounting event for NFS filesytems until statd is ru[ OK ]
 * Stopping Block the mounting event for NFS filesytems until statd is ru[ OK ]
 * Starting libvirt daemon                                               [ OK ]
 * Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...                        [ OK ]
 * Stopping save kernel messages                                         [ OK ]
 * Starting configure network device security                            [ OK ]
 * Starting configure network device                                     [ OK ]
 * Starting NFS kernel daemon                                            [ OK ]
SSL tunnels disabled, see /etc/default/stunnel4
 * Starting Block the mounting event for NFS filesytems until statd is ru[ OK ]
 * Stopping Block the mounting event for NFS filesytems until statd is ru[ OK ]
[   18.782960] XENBUS: Unable to read cpu state
[   18.787858] XENBUS: Unable to read cpu state
[   18.792665] XENBUS: Unable to read cpu state
[   18.797492] XENBUS: Unable to read cpu state
 * Starting Xen daemons                                                  [ OK ]
 * Stopping System V runlevel compatibility                              [ OK ]
mountall: Disconnected from Plymouth

----

If I press Control-A 3 times, I get
----
[   18.797492] XENBUS: Unable to read cpu state
 * Starting Xen daemons                                                  [ OK ]
 * Stopping System V runlevel compatibility                              [ OK ]
mountall: Disconnected from Plymouth
(XEN) *** Serial input -> Xen (type 'CTRL-a' three times to switch input to
DOM0)
----

/etc/default/grub
----

# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
# For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
#   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_TERMINAL=serial
GRUB_SERIAL_COMMAND="serial --port=0x3f8 --unit=0 --speed=115200 --word=8
--parity=no --stop=1"

GRUB_DEFAULT="Xen"
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=32
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN="loglvl=all com1=115200,8n1 console=com1,vga console_to_ring,
sync_console"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="console=hvc0 earlyprintk=xen"

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
# This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
# the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
#GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480
----

----
root@xenpro3:~# xm info
host                   : xenpro3
release                : 3.2.0-30-generic
version                : #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 24 16:52:48 UTC 2012
machine                : x86_64
nr_cpus                : 4
nr_nodes               : 1
cores_per_socket       : 4
threads_per_core       : 1
cpu_mhz                : 3392
hw_caps                :
bfebfbff:28100800:00000000:00003f40:13bae3ff:00000000:00000001:00000000
virt_caps              : hvm hvm_directio
total_memory           : 16108
free_memory            : 1427
free_cpus              : 0
xen_major              : 4
xen_minor              : 1
xen_extra              : .3
xen_caps               : xen-3.0-x86_64 xen-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_32
hvm-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_64
xen_scheduler          : credit
xen_pagesize           : 4096
platform_params        : virt_start=0xffff800000000000
xen_changeset          : Thu Sep 13 09:24:16 2012 -0400 54:b522cd61dce2
xen_commandline        : placeholder loglvl=all com1=115200,8n1
console=com1,vga console_to_ring, sync_console
cc_compiler            : gcc version 4.6.3 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5)
cc_compile_by          : root
cc_compile_domain      : fw5540.net
cc_compile_date        : Fri Sep 14 09:05:11 EDT 2012
xend_config_format     : 4
----

----
What is the formal meaning of the one-line program
#include "/dev/tty"

J.P. McDermott                  building 12
Code 5542                       john.mcdermott@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Naval Research Laboratory       voice: +1 202.404.8301
Washington, DC 20375, US        fax:   +1 202.404.7942