[Xen-users] Dedicated server suggestion for XCP VPSes?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: PÃter IllÃs <piprog@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 14:25:09 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 07 Oct 2012 12:26:58 +0000

Dear All,

I asked thios same question on Web Hosting Talk, but only got some answer to my tutorial q (thanksÂmohsinrizwan!), so I'd like to seek the wisdom of xen-users as well. I'm new to the list, so please bear with me. I tried to search for my answer (both on WHT, here and on goog), but did not find any answers yet - probably due to the "newness" of XCP.

I'd like to rent a dedicated server and then deploy XCP on that (probably with Ubuntu 12.04) so that I can create virtual server machines for various testing/development/production purposes (VPSes can be various Linux distros and probably a few Wins).

I found e.g. the Server4You EcoServer LARGE X6 to be a good intial platform to experiment with, but asking support they advised that their dedicated servers are NOT well suited for virtualization.

Now my primary question: does anyone have experience with XCP in a dedicated server hosting environment? Which is the best hosting company for this? (Europe is preferred, but not compulsory; a budget solution is preferred, ofc).

Secondary question: how reliable XCP is for production usage? (hope no one is insulted)

Ternary question: any good tutorials on setting up such an XCP config? (I found one on Unbuntu site, but it is more about Xen AFAIS). -- this question is still open for XCP-specific tutorials!

And one more question: what is a good basic hardware setup for such a machine? (Let's say I'd like to run 2-3 256/512MB RAM/low CPU req 10GB hdd VPSes, and then a few 1-2GB higher demand VPSes) Is software-RAID a no-no?

Thanks,
pi