[Xen-users] HP Z820 - Does not boot xen

  • To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Sarnath K - ERS, HCLTech" <k_sarnath@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 11:09:52 +0530
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 05:41:25 +0000

Hi,

We have a brand new HP Z820 system which is a E5 based sandy-bridge server with NVIDIA Quadro 600 Graphics card.

The machine has 32GB RAM and 8 CPUs (16 with Hyper threading enabled)

The system has AMI BIOS 2.07 (the latest).

We have enabled Hyper-threading, VT-d, VMX in the BIOS.

We installed Ubuntu 12.04 first, followed by, XEN installation (the one that is packaged (4.1) along with Ubuntu)

With this setup, XEN complains during boot-up saying “dom0: Not enough memory for Kernel” , panics and  reboots after 5 seconds.

We tried adding command line options like “dom0_mem=1G” etc.. with no avail.

Later, we manually compiled XEN 4.2 and installed on it (after un-installing the previous one).

With this one, the machine reboots during the boot sequence after saying “Scrubbing free mem” or so...

We also tried XEN 4.3 unstable with no avail.

1.    Note that we do not edit any “XEN” related configuration files. We just installed and found the GRUB entries appear in the boot menu.

2.    One another point that we noted was – there was an ACPI error reported during boot sequence (in both 4.2 and 4.3 (have not checked 4.1)).

It reads ACPI Error(tbxfroot-0218): A valid RSDP was not found [20070126]”

3.    Is this related to EFI boot by any chance?

We use GRUB EFI boot and Ubuntu uses LVM as the storage backend.

4.    We have also played around with “Power setting” related BIOS options (C-states) with no avail.

5.    How do I get the Boot Log of XEN? Is it through serial port? If so, what are the configure options I should use while compiling XEN for that?

I see a minicom option out there. Should we enable that while compiling?

Can somebody help us here?

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Sarnath