Re: [Xen-users] How to change VM from para-virtualization to full-virtualization?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 14:29:43 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 20:31:23 +0000

Hi.

El 31/10/12 10:27, Jerry Gao escribió:
I've created a domU in para-virtualization. But now I need to change it
to full-virtualization.
Is it possible to upgrade/change the VM virtualization mode without
impact the OS+App in the VM? And How?

Yes, it is possible. Can be a bit tricky because there are many details to take care of, even if each of this details is trivial by itself. From DomU's point of view, the change will affect the kernel used in the DomU, the boot loader and the storage devices naming.

This is a small overview of what need to be done:
1. Make sure your DomU system has a regular kernel and a boot loader installed. 2. Make sure the storage is presented to the DomU as a partitioned block device(s).
3. Re-write your .cfg file within Dom0 to make it start the DomU as HVM.
4. Install the boot loader into you DomU storage's MBR, watch the kernel command line for root= parameter. I would recommend doing this booting the HVM DomU with a LiveCD, Knoppix or systemrescuecd should do fine. 5. Modify your /etc/fstab to reflect the change of the block devices naming (from /dev/xvdaN to /dev/hda or whatever).

Word of advice, in many cases it's preferable to re-install the guest system, then move data and configs. This way you get a more predictable result.

--
Alexandre Kouznetsov